Touchstone Theatre, in association with our presenting partner, the Firehall Arts Centre, is looking for a new play to be developed and produced for our seventh cycle of Flying Start! The selected playwright receives a commissioning fee to finish a new script, workshopping, and dramaturgical development, leading to a fully professional production.
The criteria for submissions are as follows:
• The playwright must be a resident of BC and should be an early career writer
• The playwright must be between 20 and 35 years of age
• The playwright must have a completed first draft of either a full length script or a one-act of at least 60 minutes in length
• Scripts must be original, unpublished and not previously produced on stage
Total fee for the playwright is $6,000.
The next Flying Start production will be in June 2020 at the Firehall Arts Centre. The selected playwright will be announced by May 15, 2019 and workshops with a professional director, dramaturg and actors will commence.
Since 2008, Touchstone’s Flying Start program has helped launch the next generation of Canadian playwrights. By committing to a full-scale premiere of an emerging work, with an attached development process, Flying Start fully nurtures the work while sharpening it for in-house production. Past Flying Start productions include works from Amy Lee Lavoie, Jordan Hall, Briana Brown, Peter Boychuk and Sally Stubbs; all of whom have an active writing and theatre career and made many of their working relationships during Flying Start.
• Include a title page with your full name, email, phone number and address
• Submit a draft of your play, along with your resume, to firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for submissions: March 15, 2019, 5pm
For more information, contact Touchstone at 604-709-9973 or email@example.com.