In Tune – Other Stuff
YouTube Musical Contest
In Tune invites applications from artists interested in creating an original YouTube musical, which will be promoted and circulated as part of In Tune 2017.
What’s a YouTube musical?
It’s a new, original musical written and composed specifically for YouTube. It is not a live work – it is designed for video, and makes use of the editing and effects that medium can offer. The style and content are up to you. The finished work must contain 50% musical material (human voice and instrumentation, preferably in song form), all of which must be original composition – no copyrighted material allowed. The only restriction is that the finished product be no longer than 10 minutes.
What’s the prize?
The winning proposal receives a $1000 prize to be used for the expense of creating, rehearsing, filming and editing the musical.
What’s the timeline?
• The deadline for applications is April 15th 2017.
• The winner will be announced April 27th 2017.
• The finished product must be submitted to In Tune by May 29th 2017.
• The winning YouTube musical will be disseminated online in the weeks leading up to In Tune, and screened at our opening event on June 9th 2017.
Who can apply?
Any Canadian theatre artist or group of artists.
For full application criteria, click here.
Saturday, June 17th, 2017 at 10:00 am
Are you working on a new musical that needs a home? Pitch your in-development or premiere ready show to an audience of artistic directors and presenters. Pitches can be a launchpad for forging partnerships, obtaining commissions or residencies, and booking tours.
Applications are open to all Canadian musical theatre projects.
Application Deadline: May 19th, 2017 at 5:00 pm PST
• Each pitch must include the presentation of a song from the musical, with an accompanying introduction. Please keep your pitch under 8 mins.
• A maximum of 4 people may present each pitch. It is recommended that these presenters be artistically involved with the project.
• An acoustic or electric piano will be available.
• Successful applicants, if they are not Vancouver-based, must be able to provide their own travel and accommodation.
For full submission details and application form, click here.
We are looking for young musical theatre artists between the ages 18 and 24 to participate in an immersive musical theatre training program at In Tune 2017, taking place between June 8th and 18th. We are searching for an eclectic selection of emerging writers, composers and performers to create a Young Company that will have unlimited access to all In Tune programming.
Andy Toth, Christine Quintana and Kevin Michael Cripps will lead this group through the 11 day program, offering workshops throughout and integrating the learned information from In Tune programming into an original musical theatre piece that will be performed on closing night.
We would love to see submissions from anyone out there with an interest in musical theatre. Experience is not necessary, just keen interest in the artform and its development and a unique perspective. This program is completely free!
Applications are open to all Canadian musical theatre artists aged 18-24. Successful applicants, if not Vancouver-based, must be able to provide their own travel and accommodation.
How to Submit:
• Send us a current headshot and resume;
• include a cover letter (1 page maximum) indicating your experience with musical theatre and three different aspects of musical theatre that interest you;
• indicate your current commitments during the period of June 8th – 18th, and whether you have flexibility in scheduling other commitments;
• if you are a writer or composer, please include a short excerpt from your written work (5 pages maximum) or a recording (3 minutes maximum).
Application Deadline: May 5th, 2017 at 5:00 pm PST
Please send your completed application to Naomi Vogt at firstname.lastname@example.org
Successful applicants will be notified by May 12th, 2017.
Supported by the BC Arts Council Youth Engagement Program.